MAPS

Discussion about GMSarli Games products, particularly those available in the online store (such as miniatures packs, maps, and accessories).

Moderator: GMSarli

MAPS

Postby valetutto » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Incase you didn't know I do a lot of the leg-work for Gary's Map Printing, that being said I've got a few questions\comments.

If anyone here has bought one of the maps would you care to post a reply with feedback please? I'm always looking to improve the quality of the product and feedback is the best way, good or bad.

If you are/have considered buying a map but have not done so yet, would you mind posting why?

Gary and I are toying with different ideas and one thing we were considering doing was "Line Art". Basically it would be a non-full color map for a cheaper price. Anyone interested?

Also, the paper I use is a limited quantity so it will be changing soon to 6.6mil versus the 10mil. Most folks probably won't notice and I've already been told that the current paper might actually be too thick. If you need a thickness comparison, a glossy photograph is most comonly sold on 7.2mil Are you guys ok with that or should I consider other options?

Thanks!
valetutto

Re: MAPS

Postby j0lt » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 pm

I've looked over the maps a couple times, but haven't planned on buying any just yet. As far as thickness goes, I think a glossy photo's thickness is too thick for a battle map, so the 6.6 should be good. I've got a few thicker ones, and when you fold them, they don't lie flat anymore.
j0lt

Postby valetutto » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the update.
The folds are certainly a concern for us. We tested a few and were able to smooth them out as well as any other map but I think you're right, the thinner paper might smooth out easier, I'll certainly test that. Ideally I'd prefer to ship all maps rolled so folding isn't an issue but its just too expensive to buy and ship using the tubes without passing that cost on to the consumer.
valetutto

Postby GMSarli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 pm

valetutto wrote:Thanks for the update.
The folds are certainly a concern for us. We tested a few and were able to smooth them out as well as any other map but I think you're right, the thinner paper might smooth out easier, I'll certainly test that. Ideally I'd prefer to ship all maps rolled so folding isn't an issue but its just too expensive to buy and ship using the tubes without passing that cost on to the consumer.

Also, the rolled maps take a little longer to unroll the first time -- if you're pulling them straight out of the tube, they want to curl up when you put them on the table. Folding might not be perfect, but on balance it's probably the best approach.
GMSarli
Site Admin

Postby j0lt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 am

If you were to go the other way and do super high quality maps, you could go with a folding boardgame style. Of course, those would be prohibitively expensive...
j0lt

Postby valetutto » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm

j0lt wrote:If you were to go the other way and do super high quality maps, you could go with a folding boardgame style. Of course, those would be prohibitively expensive...

Interesting idea. The photo quality is a non-issue for us because our quality is as high as is needed. The trick in making something like a folding gameboard would be the board material, as I just don't know where they get it. I could fake it by printing on a contact sheet and then pasting it over the folding board but it would probably end up looking cheap. I could print on posterboard but those boards don't use normal posterboard. Neat thought, thanks!
valetutto

Postby wandringaround » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm

If the paper is too thin the folds tend to wear out with repeated folding and storage causing tears in the map. 6.6 mil will probably work nicely.

I've got a few thicker ones, and when you fold them, they don't lie flat anymore.

Also, the rolled maps take a little longer to unroll the first time -- if you're pulling them straight out of the tube, they want to curl up when you put them on the table. Folding might not be perfect, but on balance it's probably the best approach.

As a brief aside My group uses plexiglass sheets to lay over top of battle maps. The weight lays them flat and provides a clear wet erase surface to write on or handitack tiles and other accessories to.
wandringaround

Postby Po-Guay Maaku » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 am

thank you for having a service like this available! it is a godsend.

I am curious though as to your overall turnaround on output. from file recieved to map in hand... I am working on a custom SW Saga edition adventure for a convention and I would like to know how fast I can expect to recieve your fine product. I have 3 weeks left to prep & it would great to not have to sweat over when my maps will show up.

I have at least 5 maps to make & I live in Ohio, USA.

thank you in advance for a prompt response.
Po-Guay Maaku

Postby GMSarli » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:33 am

Ideally, if we get the maps files in hand by early Friday afternoon, we can have them printed over the weekend, ship them by Monday or Tuesday, and you'll usually receive them by the following Friday. That said, we're not a full-size print shop; this is a side operation that requires us to do a little weekend scheduling, and sometimes we'll get a bunch of orders at once (or one particularly big order) that we can't get through in one weekend.

So, I'd say that you should expect no more than 1-2 weeks for delivery of a large order, and we'll do everything we can to be at the lower end of that range.

If you have any other questions, let me know!
GMSarli
Site Admin

Postby Po-Guay Maaku » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:06 pm

thank you very much. I will get them sent to you asap.
Po-Guay Maaku

Postby Po-Guay Maaku » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:11 pm

maps purchased... at least attempted at any rate. I am guessing its a little early to expect an email for the file transfers?

the service now says sold out, I am fairly positive the transaction went through. I know that I ordered 6 maps at once (it was alot of work for me as well... still not happy with the slap job I did on them due to timing constraints though; but that's my fault not yours :oops: ), could it be possible to confirm the transaction at your earliest convenience?

thank you very much
Po-Guay Maaku

Postby GMSarli » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Po-Guay Maaku wrote:maps purchased... at least attempted at any rate. I am guessing its a little early to expect an email for the file transfers?

the service now says sold out, I am fairly positive the transaction went through. I know that I ordered 6 maps at once (it was alot of work for me as well... still not happy with the slap job I did on them due to timing constraints though; but that's my fault not yours :oops: ), could it be possible to confirm the transaction at your earliest convenience?

thank you very much

I see the order in my system; I'll send you an email so you can transfer the map files to us. :)
GMSarli
Site Admin

Return to GMSarli Games Main