Build Your Character (e20 Lite v0.2)

Discussion of e20 System classes: their roles, class features, and talent trees.

Moderator: GMSarli

Build Your Character (e20 Lite v0.2)

Postby JaredGaume » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Using the e20 Lite v0.2 document, build a first level character.

You may build a character you would actually play.

Or you may build a min/max powerhouse.

You may build your character as a modern character, or take some liberties to build a character from any genre. As much as possible use the e20 Lite v0.2 document.
JaredGaume

Re: Build Your Character (e20 Lite v0.2)

Postby JaredGaume » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Joe Mack "Truck"
(min/max build)
"Truck" is a long haul trucker prone to violent outbursts. Not tied down to any one place, Truck has no problem taking out anyone he deems to be an enemy. The cab of his truck is home, and possesses a number of weapons and armor to take on his enemies.

Modern - Human - Blue Collar
6'5"; 240 lbs.; Brown Hair; Hazel Eyes
Resources 7 (fudged

Dreadnought (Level 1)

Ability Scores: (fudged)
(point buy: 18, 14, 14, 10, 8, 8)
14 (+2) Strength
20 (+5) Constitution (18 base + 2 race)
10 (+0) Dexterity
8 (-1) Intelligence
14 (+2) Wisdom
8 (-1) Charisma

Hit Points: 65 reserves: 130 recovery: 13
Massive Damage Threshold: 25
Action Points: 1
"Second Wind": 2

Initiative: +0 (fudged)
Speed: 6

Primary Defense: 12
Reflex Defense: 9 save: -1
Fortitude Defense: 16 save: +6
Will Defense: 13 save: +3

Trained Skills:
Endurance,
Athletics, Mechanics, Pilot, Survival, Firearms, Hafted Weapons,
Simple Weapons.

Feats:
Heavy Armor Proficiency, Tireless, Advanced (Firearms)
Great Fortitude, Improved Great Fortitude, Iron Will,
Relentless,
Armor Proficiency.

Basic Attacks: (fudged)

Unarmed (Brawling): +4 attack, 1d4+2 damage
Knife: +1 attack, 1d4+2 damage, range 2
Axe: +4 attack, 1d8+2 damage
Pistol (.44): +1 attack, 2d8 damage, range 2, 6 cyl.
Assault Rifle (7.62mm): +1 attack, 2d10 damage (10 shots, 2x2 area), range 50, 20 box

Talents:

Draw Fire: +7 vs Will (2x2 area), hit targets can only attack you until start of your next turn. AP (4x4 area) - Suppress stunt.
Hold the Line: (fudged) +7 vs. target Primary, hit do [W] + 7 damage, target is slowed until start of your next turn. AP (dazed until start of your next turn and slowed (Ref save ends).
Crushing Advance: +7 vs. target Fortitude, hit do [W] + 7 damage, move target 1 square away, you move 1 square and repeat this attack against same or adjacent target (-2 culmulative penalty for each previous hit). AP (+2 to all Crushing Advance attacks this turn).

Equipment: (fudged)
.44 magnum Pistol, 7.62mm Assault Rifle, buck Knife, wood Axe, Special Response Vest.

(Note: I had to fudge some of the numbers as e20 Lite didn't spell this stuff out. To fudge the numbers I used d20 Modern RPG as a baseline to fill in the blanks)
JaredGaume

Postby Inquisitor Tremayne » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Here is my creation. I didn't fudge anything (that sounds gross) except use Saga for it's point buy rules.

Joe “Action Hero” Johnson
Male Human Vanguard 1
Background Law Enforcement
Resources +1
Action Points 1

Hitpoints 61
Reserves 122
Recover 12

MDT 20

Primary Defense 13
Reflex Defense 13
Fortitutde Defense 15
Will Defense 11

Saving Throws
Fort +3
Ref +2
Will +0

(28 point buy – Saga rules)

Str 16
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 12

Speed 6 squares

Skills
Athletics +2
Analytics +2
Initiative +2
Pilot +2
Streetwise +2
Firearms +2
Unarmed +2
Simple Weapons +2

Feats
Great Fortitude
Improved Great Fortitude
Lightning Reflexes
Devastating Strike (Firearms)
Dodge
Advanced Weapons (Firearms)
Combat Expertise
Quick Draw

Talents
Melee Smash
Cleaving Strike
Whirlwind Attack

Attack
Pistol, 9mm +3, 2d6 dmg, Range 5,
"It is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."
Inquisitor Tremayne

Postby JaredGaume » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Slim Picks
(optimized primary defense)

Modern Male Human Corsair 1
Background Criminal
Resources 7
Action Points 1

Hitpoints 52
Reserves 104
Recover 10

MDT 18

Primary Defense 16
Reflex Defense 16
Fortitude Defense 13
Will Defense 10

Saving Throws:
Fort +3
Ref +6
Will +0

Str 10 (+0)
Con 14 (+2)
Dex 16 (+3)
Int 16 (+3)
Wis 10 (+0)
Cha 12 (+1)

Speed 6 squares

Skills:
Acrobatics +2
Deception +2
Initiative +2
Mechanics +2
Streetwise +2
Firearms +2
Unarmed +2
Simple Weapons +2

Feats:
Great Fortitude
Lightning Reflexes
Improved Lightning Reflexes
Uncanny Dodge
Dodge
Sneak Attack
Mobility
Improved Dodge

Talents:
Deadeye
Clever Strike
Nimble Strike

Attacks:
Unarmed (Brawling): +2 attack, 1d4 damage
Knife: +5 attack, 1d4 damage, range 2
Pistol (9mm): +5 attack, 2d8 damage, range 5, 15 box
JaredGaume

Postby DTemplar5 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 am

Hey, I've noticed you're already messing up on the Saving Throws, Jared; you don't apply attribute modifiers (as per Gary), you only apply the bonus from feats (like Great Fortitude).
DTemplar5

Postby JaredGaume » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 am

Yeah you are right, but it ends up kind of weak compared to the save target of 15.

For example:

Reflex defense you get (corsair example):
10 + 3 (improved lightning reflexes) + ((3 dex + 3 int)/2) or 3 = 16 Reflex Defense
Reflex saving throw bonus = Reflex defense bonus or +6.
Correct Reflex saving throw bonus = +3.

Fortitude defense you get (corsair example):
10 + 2 (great fortitude) + ((0 str + 2 con)/2) or 1 = 13 Fortitude Defense
Fortitude saving throw bonus = Reflex defense bonus or +3.
Correct Fortitude saving throw bonus = +2

Will defense you get (corsair example):
10 + ((0 wis + 1 cha)/2) round down to 0 = 10 Will Defense
Will saving throw bonus = Will defense bonus or +0.
Correct Will saving throw bonus = +0

With a save target of 15 you are going to spend the majority of your time NOT shaking off adverse effects. With a target of 15 you MUST add all available save bonuses or plan on being nickle and dimed to death. If the target was 10, then the lower bonus target makes more sense.
JaredGaume

Postby GMSarli » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am

JaredGaume wrote:With a save target of 15 you are going to spend the majority of your time NOT shaking off adverse effects. With a target of 15 you MUST add all available save bonuses or plan on being nickle and dimed to death. If the target was 10, then the lower bonus target makes more sense.

For what it's worth, I've been leaning toward changing the save target to 10. I want it to be an easy-to-remember number, so either 10 or 15 are the two best options there; I want it to change at least a bit over time rather than staying the same (as in 4E); I don't want the gap between high- and low-level characters to be too wide, so that rules out using ability modifiers and defense bonuses.

So, if I do change it to a save target of 10, high-level characters will be particularly likely to make their saves (80% chance at level 13+ with both defensive feats for a given save). However, I think that will work out because by the time you're at higher levels, everyone has a larger suite of talents, so logically it will be more common for you to have to make more than one save (meaning that it would help speed things along if you're more likely to make a save).
GMSarli
Site Admin

Postby JaredGaume » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 am

Also think of targets in the inverse. How hard is it for someone that isn't maxed out to get somewhere.

I support moving the save target to 10.
JaredGaume

Postby DTemplar5 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 am

GMSarli wrote:
JaredGaume wrote:With a save target of 15 you are going to spend the majority of your time NOT shaking off adverse effects. With a target of 15 you MUST add all available save bonuses or plan on being nickle and dimed to death. If the target was 10, then the lower bonus target makes more sense.

For what it's worth, I've been leaning toward changing the save target to 10. I want it to be an easy-to-remember number, so either 10 or 15 are the two best options there; I want it to change at least a bit over time rather than staying the same (as in 4E); I don't want the gap between high- and low-level characters to be too wide, so that rules out using ability modifiers and defense bonuses.

So, if I do change it to a save target of 10, high-level characters will be particularly likely to make their saves (80% chance at level 13+ with both defensive feats for a given save). However, I think that will work out because by the time you're at higher levels, everyone has a larger suite of talents, so logically it will be more common for you to have to make more than one save (meaning that it would help speed things along if you're more likely to make a save).

Not only that; but given that you make the save at the end of your turn, baring the use of talents to accelerate recovering, you're going to spend at least one round in the debalitating effect. I can see a 10 DC on the saves a good idea, especially if you make those effects more common.
DTemplar5

Postby Stacie_GmrGrl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:06 pm

DTemplar5 wrote:
GMSarli wrote:

Not only that; but given that you make the save at the end of your turn, baring the use of talents to accelerate recovering, you're going to spend at least one round in the debalitating effect. I can see a 10 DC on the saves a good idea, especially if you make those effects more common.

I like variable DC's for Saves... DC 10 + half the level of the attacker that caused the effect. This should give a minor scaling to them without being to variable.
Stacie_GmrGrl

Postby Aerilyn84 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Is there a character sheet or even a "Creating Your Character" guide someone has crafted that could aid the process of making a character?
Also, I think it would help people master e20 if there was a narration of an encounter like the one found in the SWRPG Core Rulebook. Any one know of something like that?
Aerilyn84

Postby GMSarli » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Good idea -- the next time I do an e20 Lite update, I'll make sure I include a more detailed character creation section. At the moment I'm working on writing up the stuff from my Evolved Delve game at Gen Con to use it as a playtesting vehicle for the patrons, so it will be a bit before I get to it.
GMSarli
Site Admin

Return to Classes & Talents