Power Design, specifically SWSE

General topics such as design philosophy, style, tone, and the like.

Moderator: GMSarli

Power Design, specifically SWSE

Postby Da'ath » Sun May 15, 2011 12:34 pm

I am not certain if this is the appropriate place in which to make this inquiry (specifically to GMSarli, but any data by others is more than welcome), but here goes.

My question: what are the parameters used by the design team in constructing new Force powers for the Saga Edition? Dungeons and Dragons has a chart, for example, on page 35 of the Dungeon Master's Guide (3.5 edition) a chart can be found that indicates the rough maximum damage for a spell based on targets and the level of spell. While I realize there is no such differentiation in terms of level for Force powers, however I am curious if you and/or your team used a similar template for SWSE.

I do realize I can take all of the Force powers and create a spread sheet to get a rough idea, but I am also employed, in school, a father, and very lazy to boot - this would be rather time consuming.
Da'ath

Re: Power Design, specifically SWSE

Postby lucasjung » Mon May 16, 2011 5:42 am

I think you have misunderstoood what we're doing here. We're designing a completely new game. We are not designing any Force powers, nor are we designing anything for SWSE.

The new game we are designing, e20, has a concept called "talents," some of which will be similar to Force powers, so you could probably use this game to play in a Star Wars setting, but we are not designing with that specific goal in mind. If you wanted to use e20 to play in a Star Wars setting, you would almost certainly have to overlay a lot of house rules on the talent system in order to get them to feel just like Force powers.
"You’re entitled to your own opinions. You’re not entitled to your own facts."
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan
lucasjung

Postby Da'ath » Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 am

lucasjung wrote:I think you have misunderstoood what we're doing here. We're designing a completely new game. We are not designing any Force powers, nor are we designing anything for SWSE.

I understand what is being done here. The GMSarli Games Community is designing a "completely new" game heavily based on the systems used in SWSE - many of which were drawn from 3.0 D&D's Unearthed Arcana. Further, I did not request you or anyone else design anything for SWSE, be it force powers or otherwise. I requested information on the parameters used by the design team, of which Sarli was a member, to design the powers used in SWSE, the foundation on which e20 is based:

"...the designer hopes that the e20 System can emulate the feel of Saga Edition: building on its strengths, compensating for its weaknesses, and evolving into a universal system for any setting and style of play." (quoted from http://www.gmsarligames.com/e20/)

Is this no longer an accurate representation of what e20 is all about?

lucasjung wrote:The new game we are designing, e20, has a concept called "talents," some of which will be similar to Force powers, so you could probably use this game to play in a Star Wars setting, but we are not designing with that specific goal in mind. If you wanted to use e20 to play in a Star Wars setting, you would almost certainly have to overlay a lot of house rules on the talent system in order to get them to feel just like Force powers.

I am familiar with the basic talent system of e20 and not interested in constructing "new force powers" or anything specifically related to the Star Wars universe.
Da'ath

Postby Jatku » Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am

While they're original, genreless, and settingless, e20's psionic talents should quite easily be able to serve as Force powers. The mechanics for psionics are designed to act as a representation of any and all supernatural* powers that involve unlocking your potential -- vs. progressively gaining access to powers that were previously, for lack of a better way to put it, "beyond your potential," which would (mechanically speaking) be magic. If anything, you may end up wanting to bar access to certain powers that might not be appropriate.

All of the talents in e20 are crafted in a way that should allow GMs and players to portray them in whatever way they desire. Every “in-universe” element (how something is referred to, the way things are described, etc.) is entirely up to you.

* From an "out of game," real-world perspective
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." (George Bernard Shaw)
Jatku

Postby lucasjung » Mon May 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Da'ath wrote:I requested information on the parameters used by the design team, of which Sarli was a member, to design the powers used in SWSE, the foundation on which e20 is based:

In these forums, "the design team" is the team of people working on e20. You did not make clear that you were referring to some other design team (specifically, the design team that had designed SWSE in the past), so the most obvious way to interpret your request was that you were asking for the guidelines that this design team, the one currently working on these forums, is using. Since we are not designing SWSE Force powers, we have no guidelines for such, hence my response.

I'm sure that Gary is intimately familiar with whatever guidelines were used by the team that built SWSE. However, he may or may not be able to discuss them with outsiders. Furthermore, we are all currently focusing to the greatest extent possible on e20 because we have some big deadlines looming. Gary is especially busy. He's a friendly and generous guy, and I'm sure that he'll tell you anything he is able to tell you, but right now he's so busy that he can barely keep up with questions from the design team, so I doubt if he's going to take the time for anything directly related to e20 until after we make this next set of deadlines, possibly not even until e20 is released. If he is able to answer your question, I'm sure that he will, but it probably won't happen for weeks or even months.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan
lucasjung

Postby Da'ath » Mon May 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Jatku - While not precisely what I was looking for, your post was helpful in intent, Jatku. Thank you, for your courtesy.

Re: lucasjung - If you interpret this response as aggressive, it is not my intent.

Da'ath wrote:My question: what are the parameters used by the design team in constructing new Force powers for the Saga Edition? ... however I am curious if you and/or your team used a similar template for SWSE.

The second selection in the quote - which I have placed in bold lettering - indicates what team I was specifically referring to and the most obvious way to interpret my request. If you were not a member of the SWSE design team, you obviously did not aid in designing the template for the aforementioned powers and thus, could not be confused as to which team I was referring to.

As this "debate" on phrasing, intent, and interpretation is not and will not serve to accomplish anything, I am taking the liberty of assuming you responded in what fashion you felt appropriate with what you thought I was trying to say . For the attempt to be helpful, I am appreciative.

As for GMSarli & his schedule, I'm patient and will wait for his "yes, I can help you," or "no, I cannot help you." Reverse engineering the design will be simple, but time consuming - more so than waiting for a response.
Da'ath

Postby lucasjung » Mon May 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Da'ath wrote:
Da'ath wrote:My question: what are the parameters used by the design team in constructing new Force powers for the Saga Edition? ... however I am curious if you and/or your team used a similar template for SWSE.

The second selection in the quote - which I have placed in bold lettering - indicates what team I was specifically referring to and the most obvious way to interpret my request. If you were not a member of the SWSE design team, you obviously did not aid in designing the template for the aforementioned powers and thus, could not be confused as to which team I was referring to.

I should probably let this be, but I just can't help myself. I just have a very low tolerance for imprecise communication.

The first selection is in present tense, indicating this design team, and refers to construction of new Force powers for Saga edition, indicating a presumption that this design team is engaged in an ongoing effort to design new Force powers.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan
lucasjung

Postby jazzencat » Mon May 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Looking at Da'ath's syntax and usage I'd guess that English wasn't their first language. "[I]mprecise communication" that has you going all xkcd on the poor poster, is probably a lack of native-level fluency in English. I've seen or heard similar patterns from various exchange students I've talked to at university. Immediately nitpicking isn't the best first reaction, methinks.
jazzencat

Return to General Discussion