Swift Question (actions and reactions)

The rule engine that drives the e20 System in play.

Moderator: GMSarli

Swift Question (actions and reactions)

Postby Imagist » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Noah Swift (Dexterity based heroic character)

"Hey guys, Noah here. I had a question about actions in a round, namely how many? I liked the SWSE action system where you had full-round actions, standard actions, move actions, swift actions (named after me I can only assume), free actions, and reactions. It made sense that you could trade an action that took a longer time for an action that took a shorter time (trade a standard action for an extra move action) or choose between a full-round action or taking a standard action, a move action, and a swift action. Free actions made sense within reason (I still maintain everything I do should be a free action), but reactions were kind of borderline for me.”

“What I mean is, an attack of opportunity is a reaction (basically) I could only do once per round (or 1 + Dexterity modifier times per round with Combat Reflexes), while using powers or abilities that were reactions could be done so long as I had them without limit. I’d like to see reactions be limited to 1 reaction per round, but with a similar option of increasing your number of reactions per round based on your dexterity modifier if you have the Combat Reflexes feat. Maybe, just like converting longer actions into shorter action, you could (if you sensed a great deal of negative karma coming your way) convert a standard action, move action, or swift action into an additional reaction you could use until the start of your next turn (after which time unspent additional reactions would be lost). What do other people think?”
"Things will get better. Then they will get worse. Then they will get better again. Just remember, if it's not good, than it is not the end."
- Author Unknown
Imagist

Re: Swift Question (actions and reactions)

Postby Stacie_GmrGrl » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Until we get to see more from Gary and e20Lite, I don't know how to answer this question...

I'd personally rather a system where actions were split into either Half Actions or Full Actions, and you can either take two half actions or a single full action in an action round, and leave it at that.

Get rid of Attacks of Opportunity, as they just make combat last unnecessarily longer, but have Talents that allow people to gain Free Attacks when its their turn or under certain circumstances...similar to how its done in FantasyCraft with some of their Feats.
Stacie_GmrGrl

Postby Imagist » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 pm

"I do agree that something needs to be done with AoO as they currently are, since in some systems you provoke for entering a threatened square, while in others you provoke while leaving. Combat based talents like Offensive Opportunity or Defensive Opportunity where you can make an attack as a reaction to someone leaving your threatened square (offensive) or entering your threatened square (defensive) could be useful minor talents, but I would be unsure of how other actions that normally 'provoke' such as grapple/trip/disarm attempts and the like would work if normal AoO were done away with. While I agree AoO can slow down combat, some iconic abilities and scenerios require a mechanic similar to AoO to be doable."

"Might be interesting if you could ready reactions normally ('I am going to ready a reaction to attack anyone who enters my threatened square and ready a reaction to attack anyone who leaves my threatened square.'), but also benefit from talents that allow specific uses of AoO ('I have the Offensive Opportunity talent, so I am going to immediately convert one of my free reactions into an AoO against this guy as he tries to flee from my threatened square.')."
"Things will get better. Then they will get worse. Then they will get better again. Just remember, if it's not good, than it is not the end."
- Author Unknown
Imagist

Postby Michael Silverbane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 pm

I prefer attacks of opportunity (or opportunity attacks), unless something is done with the initiative system or tactical positioning to better emulate simultaneity.

However, I do not think that it would be out of line to fold opportunity attacks and other reactive abilities into a single mechanic.

The Trailblazer rpg supplement has done this somewhat, giving a number combat reactions based on BAB (I think). And also folding the aid another action into a combat reaction, which was pretty clever.
Michael Silverbane

Postby Imagist » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Michael Silverbane wrote:I prefer attacks of opportunity (or opportunity attacks), unless something is done with the initiative system or tactical positioning to better emulate simultaneity.

However, I do not think that it would be out of line to fold opportunity attacks and other reactive abilities into a single mechanic.

The Trailblazer rpg supplement has done this somewhat, giving a number combat reactions based on BAB (I think). And also folding the aid another action into a combat reaction, which was pretty clever.

Noah is momentarily left without words... only momentarily...

"I never thought of making the aid another action a reaction to someone else's action. That like opens a whole new door of available minor support talents where you can use Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma in battle to aid allies and vex enemies. I love the word vex for some reason. Vex vex vex!"
- Author Unknown
Imagist

Return to Combat & Actions