The Grim N Gritty Rules by Ken Hood

The rule engine that drives the e20 System in play.

Moderator: GMSarli

The Grim N Gritty Rules by Ken Hood

Postby Stacie_GmrGrl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 pm

I know I posted this in another thread, but I want to make sure that everybody at least sees these rules if they haven't before becauses they are amazing. I think that he was years ahead of everybody else in designing these, and if we can take something from how he designed these rules and how he tweaked the d20 system back then for combat and damage, and either modify them for e20 or take his Psionics and Martial Arts rules and see how he did them, I think we should really consider these in the design of e20 in some aspect.

http://riivo.talviste.pri.ee/dnd/grim-n-gritty/

Everybody who hasn't already seen these should take a look. They are really well done. I know that 4.0 rules set of these is a pdf at rpgnow, and I'm tempted to get them but I don't want to buy them, and these are free, so I'm posting this link for everybody to see.

Ciao

What do you all think?
Stacie_GmrGrl

Re: The Grim N Gritty Rules by Ken Hood

Postby j0lt » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:09 am

Interesting stuff! They're in a similar vein to what I had been doing with my d20M revision (though I went with VP/Wounds instead of reduced HP).
j0lt

Postby bone_naga » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:25 pm

I think a variation of those rules could become one of our modules. Something you can combine with any setting to get a grittier more dangerous game. It could be especially useful for Cthulhu-type horror games where you don't want the PCs running around starting fights all the time.
bone_naga

Postby jazzencat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Still working my way through it. Interesting point about the poor dragon and the square-cube law. Well, since dragons are magical creatures (they couldn't fly at their size and proportions without magic) they are forgiven for breaking square-cube law and others ;)
jazzencat

Postby Michael Silverbane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am

There's another (revised and simplified) version of these rules that I much prefer. It can be found on enworld here.
Michael Silverbane

Return to Combat & Actions